Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Who Wants Jell-O?

"Palace of Fine Arts/2006"-Liz Hickok














I remember when I went to art school for a second, literally, I had an instructor named Slater Barron, who ironically taught an Art/Media class. She was truly an interesting woman. In her spare time she was an artist/sculptor who used dryer lint to form life sized pieces and portraits, most of which had irony or sympathy as their subject matter. She would enlist all of her students to bring their dryer lint to school for her projects. At one point, she even gave specific instructions to dry like colors together, to insure the deepest colors possible. As I recall, my favorite of her past "lint-stallations" had a complete steak & lobster dinner in it...

Mixed media artist Liz Hickok has again pushed the already shaky boundaries of artistic medium with her Jell-O molded San Francisco cityscapes.


Her work description from the website:
This project consists of photographs and video, which depict various San Francisco landscapes. I make the landscapes by constructing scale models of the architectural elements which I use to make molds. I then cast the buildings in Jell-O. Similar to making a movie set, I add backdrops, which I often paint, and elements such as mountains or trees, and then I dramatically light the scenes from the back or underneath. The Jell-O sculptures quickly decay, leaving the photographs and video as the remains.

Just when you think you've seen it all?



"TELEGRAPH HILL EARTHQUAKE 1995"

No comments: